Underground Chapel of the Holy Trinity
The chapel was built at the end of the entrance shaft in the 18th century. From here, miners descended along the stairs – Attems’ Shaft – into the depths of the pit, where they spent most of their lives.
Inside the chapel are statues of both patrons, St. Achacius and St. Barbara – intercessors of Idrija miners.
St. Barbara is the patron of miners and all professions threatened by sudden death. Rich mercury ore was discovered on St. Achacius’ Day in 1508. To express their thanks, Idrija miners chose St. Achacius as their patron.